Today, I want to introduce you to a very inspirational person, whom I’ve seen on instagram. Jessica Sepel is a health blogger, nutritionist and wellness coach.
See before getting her life and body together, Jessica was doing all kinds of diets with all kinds crazy restrictions. But she realized that her body is her temple and took control. If you remember, it doesn’t need too much time to get your health in order – start with healthy cooking for example.
How she changed her life
So what did Jessica specifically change? On her website, she says:
- I ditched processed foods and sugar for good.
- I started eating beautiful wholefoods.
- I learnt to love good fats.
- I reduced my gluten intake to the point where I’m now 90% gluten free!
- I enjoyed caffeine and alcohol only occasionally.
- I drank tons of water.
- I loaded up on green veggies every day. Some might call it an addiction.
- I healed my gut with probiotics.
- I boosted my self-esteem and changed my relationship with my body and food.
- I reduced the stressors in my life
- I cut out toxic scenes and people
- I slept more
- I threw out toxic products (like fake tan!) and made the switch to natural skin and household items.
- I exercised less, but smarter
- I tuned into the mind-body connection.
- I gave myself the chance to REST
What an incredible list! And her health definitely shines through in her incredible instagram and website pictures:
Best tips on how to get healthy
If you know me, you know that I always try to learn from healthy people in order to share these experiences and learnings with you guys! So I asked Jessica what her top tips would be, for people trying to get healthier and in shape. Let’s look at her answer:
- Take one step at a time. If you try to overhaul your diet at one time, you’ll get overwhelmed and frustrated.
- Preparation is key. It’s very important to set aside some time each day or at the beginning of the week to prepare healthy meals and snacks. That way, you’ll have plenty of great options available at all times – especially when you’re in a rush!
- Healthy swaps go a long way. For example, soda to sparkling water with lemon. Chips to raw nuts. Cereal to gluten-free oats. Margarine to organic butter.
- Cutting processed sugar is my ultimate suggestion to improving your diet – and overall quality of life. Cut back on the caffeine, too!
Let’s analyze these tips for a second.
1. Take one step at a time
Why is this so important? Very simple: Trying to do too much at once, will get you to failure quicker than you can say bazooka! The idea of change and healthy habits is to build a strong foundation. You build a strong foundation by changing one habit at a time. Jessica recommends that you start with your diet, because it’s such an important variable.
2. Preparation is key
As I mentioned in my healthy cooking for busy people article, it doesn’t take too much time to cook healthy, but some prep time is needed. Jessica’s approach here is simple: Do a big part of your cooking at once, when you have free time (a lot of people prefer Sundays), so that you’re ready when it counts. Again, a very simple concept for this point: If you’re stressed and have a thousand things on your mind, you won’t think a lot about your healthy habits and break the pattern. So be ready for the stressful times, so you can conquer these situations with ease!
3. Healthy swags go a long way
I think this is a great hack, for people who want to take it easy. It’s just one small (ex)change, so you’re not pushing your entire beliefs about food at once, but take it slowly. To this list, I’d add exchanging milk with something like almond milk.
4. Cutting processed sugar
This is a no-brainer. I’ve seen people drop fat in an instance, as soon as they stopped with consuming sugar and sugar-y stuff (you can drink sugar, too – so stop with the sugar drinks!). Again: Go easy in the beginning, if you add two cubes of sugar to your coffee, why not reduce it to one? Or use something like stevia? Easy and effective!
Jessica Sepel’s Top Three Recipes
As you all know, one of my favorite questions to ask is a favorite recipe of the inspirational person and Jessica was kind enough to provide us with three! They include tasty pancakes and pizza, so grab it below here:
Jessica Sepel is an incredible woman and a great inspiration. I suggest to check out her favorite recipes above and then her